The motherload finally got here. I spent several months ordering parts and collecting them at my brother’s, which he then put in a crate and shipped to me. Thanks bro, I couldn’t have done it without you!
Basically, I ordered everything I needed to rebuild the front end (including Sway-A-Way torsion bars from eshocks.com), plus some trim, like a new chrome grill and side-view mirrors. I also got new rear axles.
Oh yes, those are brand new, factory-original control arms and spindles!
Here’s a nearly complete list of what I got so far:
Control arm, lower, RH, LH
Control arm, upper, RH, LH
Steering knuckle RH, LH
Wheel seal LH + RH
Upper ball joints, LH, RH
Lower ball joint, LH, RH
Tie rod ends X 4
Sway-A-Way Torsion bars
Prothane bushings (body mounts, comtrol arm, spring shackles, sway bar bushings and end links, tie-rod boots)
Rear axle, LH,RH
Rear axle bearing service kit X 2
Lug nuts and studs X 12
So I decided to pay a couple extra bucks for some good paint, instead of the usual cheap crap at Biltema, and I was not disappointed. Corrostabil makes the best primer I’ve ever seen. I mean, srsly, after I applied a few coats to my windshield wipers, I wanted to paint my whole truck with it! It’s so smooth and soft and primer-y. It’s truly a high-quality paint.
I also got black with a satin finish, which I used to paint the compartment (cowl) under the windshield wiper grill.
Here’s the compartment after I painted it with a black satin finish:
I also painted the grills (cowl ventilator) that cover those holes, and the entire gutter will be covered with a white grill when I’m done. Having all the semi-visible components under the white grill painted in satin black will be a nice detail.
Note to self: Order windshield wiper arm cover (8308-85192).
To remove the bed, you simply unbolt the 19 mm fasteners (6 of them) that hold the bed. The bed is light enough that two people can easily lift it off. If you only need to push the bed back about a foot to work on the cab (as I had to do), one person can easily push the bed back by scooting it a little bit on each side.
The problem is the wires to the brake lights. You have to disconnect them or cut them in order to move the bed more than an inch or so. I figured I would be be taking my bed off again in the future, so to make bed removal even easier next time, I cut the wires one at a time and inserted them into a quick connector. I soldered the metal fittings to the end of the wires because that’s how I roll, and to make sure water doesn’t get trapped in the fittings, I filled them with non-corrosive silicon.